Thursday, October 3, 2013

Surrendering to what Is

Circumstances beyond our control will always show up in our lives and create stress. Dealing with them in a realistic way can help to minimize the effects of that stress.

After a recent software upgrade I opened my contact management application and discovered that all my data had been erased. The result, panic, and a whole boatload of stress hormones raging through my bloodstream.

The most interesting part of the experience was that I had some distance from my own emotions. I watched the reaction. The anger, panic, crazed attempt at emotional problem solving.

It was interesting to witness all of this in myself. It gave me a great opportunity to make a different choice. In meditation we sit and observe. Allowing everything to be as it is provides wonderful practice for facing a crisis when it shows up.

What happened had already occurred. Nothing could be done about it. Panicking wasn't helpful at all. What I needed was calm, acceptance, and some help.

As luck would have it, the database on my phone had not been corrupted. It was only a week old. By patiently waiting for support to get back to me, I found a reasonable solution. With minimal effort I was able to get everything sorted out.

The point here, is that we will all face crises, of some sort or other, eventually. We will also likely react to most crises in a less than productive way. What we do in the throws of that reaction is what really makes the difference. Do we allow our emotions to get the best of us, or do we see what's happened as an opportunity to respond? Can we gather our resources and face the crisis with calm, and resolve.

Can you see how regularly allowing yourself to step back and witness your mind can help bring perspective, and positive solutions,  in times of crisis? I'd love to hear why, or why not.

Contact Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment